Tin Pan Joists

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] I have looked at a building with stay in place tin pan floor joists that was building approx. 1930. I have the original drawings however the drawings state only 12" T.P.J. + 2" slab. No reinforcement for joists is given. I was called in to look at it because there is a 1" deflection in the floor over a span of 24' without any significant live loading. The condition of the floor slab is terrible and they want to level and smooth it with DuraCap a gypcrete product. They removed a 1" thick layer of what looked like solid asphalt or tar. This stuff weighed about 13 psf. Never seen that before. Went up in flames after 5 seconds. Does anybody know what this stuff is? There was linoleum over it.

As far as the structure goes I am at a bit of a loss as too how to check this floor and to why there is such a large built in deflection without any significant live loads...Apart from the old standby...it was built that way. I am planning to remove at bit of the pan at the quarter point and chip the concrete off to see what the bottom bars are. I will also inspect the concrete between the forms at the bottom of the ribs to check for any cracks. I can also do some inpact tests on the slab to check for concrete strengths although I don't know how accurate these will be on a 2" thick slab.
Any thoughts or related experiences.

David Handy, P.Eng.
dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca