From: Sam Chang [mailto:szchang(--nospam--at)mail.arc.nasa.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 9:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Base metal strength reduction -- through-thick stress column
flange.

The interim Guidelines Advisory No. 2 of SAC99-01 is very helpful to me in
the design of moment-resisting frame.  Thanks for the hard work.

I have a question on the 0.9 reduction of Fy stress used to limit the
through-thickness stresses on the welding to the column flanges.  Can
someone help me find out the origination of this recommendation.  Is it
because the coupons are taken from the web?

Thanks

Sam Chang, SE