Re: Bridge Design Text Books

From: "Speck, Todd M" <tmspeck(--nospam--at)pbsj.com>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Bridge Design Text Books

Todd Speck wrote:

"I'm looking for a few good books regarding bridge design.  Specifically
related to AASHTO (ASD) code.

Any and all suggestions, especially those with a very brief description,
would be appreciated."

I would recommend "Design of Modern Concrete Highway Bridges" by Conrad Heins
and Richard Lawrie and "Design of Modern Steel Highway Bridges" by Heins.  My
copy of the concrete bridge book was copyrighted in 1984 and I don't know if a
more modern version is available.  I know that the steel bridge book is out of
print, but you may be able to find it at Powells (www.powells.com) or other used
technical bookstore.  Both give a very good description of the process of
designing a all elements of a bridge.  If these books are out of print, they
will not cover modern design approaches, such as LRFD and seismic, but will
still give very good background.

--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
  Portland, Oregon