RE: Vapor Barriers for Wood

Roger Turk wrote:

> I would strongly discourage using aluminum in contact with
> concrete as the two result in a bad marriage.  The reaction
> between the two will cause hydrogen gas to develop in the
> concrete, causing the concrete to expand.

While I agree in general with your words of caution, in reality
we use aluminum grating and guardrail components with concrete
structures regularly. We coat the contact surface of the aluminum
with two coats of epoxy paint or apply a coating to the concrete
or masonry surface. (Alternately, plastic or neoprene inserts
may be used to separate the materials.)