RE: Copyright Infringement

While I can't argue the validity of the argument, there is an underlying
sentiment that assumes the large industry structure (be it business,
associations, educational or organizational) is an impenetrable mechanical
system and we, as individuals are, essentially, powerless to deal with them.

This is simply not the case as each of these entities, when following their
chain of command, will lead to a flesh and blood individual who must, under
the proper stimulus, be responsible for their actions. We have grown
accustom to allowing people to hide behind the large infrastructure so as to
avoid taking responsibility or simply being answerable to those whom they
have historically served or represented. As individuals, we are the most
vulnerable and as such are the ones left to demonstrate responsibility and
be answerable to our family, friends and those we do business. When we don't
act responsibly, or treat our peers with the respect they deserve, we become
the target of others to remind us of our responsibility or of legal action
to atone for the wrongs we create. Why, then, should we expect anything less
from large business or organizations whose policy makers may just be our
neighbors?

This is a growing concern as more companies and organizations are
consolidating into global, international conglomerations. The larger they
become the more mechanical and less personal we perceive them to be while at
the end of the chain still exists a human being - albeit, insulated from the
public and from accepting responsibility for any discomfort they may cause.
While I don't mean to "bitch" about this, I believe it is important to
understand that this is the excuse which most people use to justify the
apathy that exists in our society. Unlike other societies throughout the
world, we don't have to accept this fate, but we do if only out of
frustration to trying to crack the corporate chain. It takes a group effort
to make change and this is where we as individuals create the weak links
that destroys our societal chain.

The responsibility to instill change in our society and our profession lies
in our own hands. The responsibility to respond to our needs is "theirs".
The one constant is that without the mutual respect on each side of the
issues, we are nothing more than slaves to the system which we created. One
voice can not be heard, a few will tweak the ear, many will turn heads and
create notice and a majority of voices in concert will create change.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net <http://www.structuralist.net>