RE: HSS vs. TS Properties For Design (WAS: Re: Copyright Infringement)

Davis, LRFD is only the ASD with mystic factors. What benefit to the
industry? the profession? The load is increased by 1.4 or more, the results
are then factored down, Actually the  original LRFD factors were developed
to insure the same results as ASD; in order that the method would be
accepted more readily.

The method has been actively advanced by AISC since 1986, continuously
taught in seminars and endorsed by all university Civil Engineering
programs; Why has it not been accepted????? Can it be that it does not suit
the needs of the design profession nor the steel industry.

There is value in knowing the failure mechanism of your structure, but it is
hard to imagine that multiplying loads by factors then applying phi factors
to predict the ultimate load capacity gives anyone a better feel with a
material that is routinely furnished to yields 10% higher that advertised. I
understand that this is of concern in high seismic areas and the procedure
maybe of great value their; but try to apply the method to the design of
crane runways, industrial buildings and stacks where serviceability is the
prime design criteria.

David I. Ruby, S.E.