RE: OSHA application?

Robert, I am familiar with 29 CFR Part 1910, but I am looking for opinions
on interpretation of Part 1910. Section 1910.5 states that it is applicable
to "employments performed in a workplace".  Does this apply to manholes? And
I have heard that city/county standards are "exempt" from OSHA
requirements??