Re: HSS vs. TS Properties For Design (WAS: Re: Copyright Infringement)

Actually, the dimensional properties CAN be used with the old "antiquated,
dilapidated, ancient, creaking and threadbare ASD method."  This may leave
out some of the "technical" adavnces included in the new specification,
but is better than using the "treadbare" ASD method with wrong dimensional
properties that are contained in the ASD manual.  The difference is today
the tube producers are much better able to produce the tube thickness to
the allowed minimum thickness in the ASTM spec.  The result is that the
tube are produced at a wall thickness that is consistently smaller than
what is used to determine the section properties in the ASD manual.
Therefore, it is very likely that the ASD manual dimensional section
properties could yield unconservative results (this could be "covered" by
higher than minimum yield values, etc).

While I believe in the long run that it would be benefitial for people to
switch to LRFD, I am not one to actively push it...yet.  However, I would
encourge people who continue to use ASD to at least use the dimension
section properties from the HSS Manual.

Scott