Bar Joists

Mike,

Per SJI 50-Year Steel Joist Digest, an SJ102 has the following properties:

Depth:      10"
Resisting Moment:    63,000 inch-pounds
Maximum End Reaction:      1,900 pounds

For a 14 foot span:  Allow. Load = 214#/ft

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Zaitz wrote:

>>Good Morning All

 I have a building built in 1936 concrete columns and beams supporting
bar joists with a 2 " concrete slab and flooring.  The existing plans
show S.J.. 102 at 23 1/2" o.c.  spanning 14'-0".  Can anyone give me any
information on these?  I have not gone to look at them but I plan too in
the near future.  Based on my experience with joists (fairly limited)
these are 10" deep joists and the 2 stands for the chord sizes (am I
correct in this)?

Thanks,

Mike<<