Re: Question on wood Roof Trusses

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Perhaps the original design was deficient by missing the slenderness limitation, if there was such a limitation in existence when it was built.  If in the same situation, I would add bracing to whatever compression members were too slender to meet code.

Eric Ober

"Hyndman, Keith" wrote:

I'm having a problem with a 40' span Howe wood roof truss.  The web members and bottom chords are 2x4's and the top chord is 2x6.  I modeled it in RISA-3D. The interior diagonals are showing compressive forces, yet there le/d > 50 using the 1 1/2" depth. It's member length is about 130".  So I guess my guest ion is how do I analyze this truss?  The slender member can't takes compressive loads, yet my model shows it in compression. Was the truss built incorrectly or am I not understanding how it works?

Ultimately I have to "piggy-back" this truss with another truss to extend the roof line. Essentially turning a gable into a triangle.

Keith Hyndman
khyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com
Exton, PA