Re: HSS vs. TS Properties For Design (WAS: Re: Copyright Infringement)

Bill:

You are correct.  The HSS specs in the HSS manual are LRFD only.  And they
do contain provisions that are not contained in the ASD specs, thus making
the ASD specs outdated for use with tubes/HSS.  In addition, as Charlie
(and some others, I believe) has pointed out, there are provisions in the
current (and forthcoming) LRFD spec that are not addressed in the ASD
spec.  Therefore, if the ASD spec were "brought up to date", it would look
drastically different than the one we all know and love, which could
eliminate a lot of the grumbling about LRFD from us ASD die hards (while I
don't grumble about LRFD, I am currently still an ASD die hards...but I
plan to "reform" when the 3rd edition is released).

Scott