RE: Question on wood Roof Trusses

Dennis:

You missed the point of the whole discussion.  The point is that some of
the compression web's of these members have to be braced.  They are usually
braced back to the structure.  The loads have to be accomodated by the
supporting structure.  The truss company has provided you with the values
(although you have to hunt for them carefully in some of the truss
company's output).  Everyone complains that this is a fairly messy situation.

If your local building department is only having you review the truss
company's analysis, then they are not enforcing the code.  I'm not
defending this situation; I'm trying to only to alert our community to a
long term problem, especially submittals.   Our local building department
requires that the bracing is completed before a permit is issued.  Review
the 97 code section I mentioned and if you have the TPI code, that also.
What you want to do and what you have to do are two different things.

We're not talking about future codes - the problem is current - and with
the litigation problems in this State, this is something to be aware of.

Of course, I've always wondered how contractor's get their permits with
projects that include prefabricated trusses that they've ordered over the
phone and no engineer of any kind is involved.

Neil Moore, S.E.