RE: Question on wood Roof Trusses

We do not view the truss designs that we review as inherently incomplete.
The designs we review generally conform to TPI standards and to our
drawings.  As EOR we are responsible for the performance of the structure.
As EOR we could design the trusses ourselves and provide construction
documents showing how the trusses are to be built.  However, industry
practice is to allow the trusses to be design-built with the design by a
Specialty Engineer.  So then what defines exactly what the specialty
engineer will do and what will we do?  First, there is a TPI document
defining our respective responsibilities.  Second there are the project
specifications (on our drawings) which further define our responsibilities.
The Specialty engineers designs the trusses themselves and truss to truss
connections.  We design the braces.  The proprietary of the product is the
trusses themselves.  They got stuck with the hangers because they are in the
best position to design the hangers.  The rest is ours unless we
specifically define otherwise in the construction documents.  I am not
saying this is the best way, right way, or moral way.  This is in general
what the industry practice is and this is how we do our work.  The client is
not paying extra.  He is not paying us to design the trusses. He is paying
for a responsible person to assure that his structure is being built
correctly and to keep the design-build vender, who gets the job based on
lowest price, honest.

BTW our fee always includes as part of the base price one truss review.  We
have assigned part of the design to the structure to another engineer.  How
do we know that he likely followed our design intent unless we look at his
work?

Respectfully, George Richards, P. E.