RE: HSS vs. TS Properties For Design (WA

Roger,
I was speaking more to the point that many of these references are not
simply converted from electronic word processing an burned into a CD. I
really am not sure how Masterspec works, but I have worked closely with the
UBC on CD-Rom. In this case the major work comes from converting the
electronic formatted text into a proprietary format that can be turned into
a database reference - in other words, the use of a search feature that
allows more than simply a Find and Replace function.
Converting a document to Acrobate can be simple or very complex - depending
on how much usability you wish to provide the reader. You need to code which
words appear in the index or in the titles. You also need to find words that
you wish to cross-reference to other areas of the code (for example) so as
to allow the reader to follow the flow-chart of logic surrounding the Code.
In the case of the UBC if section 2312.3.4 is referenced in section
16.2.1(a) (this is made up so don't try looking) then each has to be
converted to a hyperlink and this can be labor intensive.
I don't know if MasterSpec offers this type of convenience which is
automatically available with paper texts as you become the manual hyperlink
engine, but it is more complicated in electronic text.

This is my point. If there were as many potential buyers of the electronic
version of the UBC as there are books, then the cost of the labor to convert
the documents will have a lower per software cost. However, less than 1% of
the profession at this time will use the resources and the cost to make the
change is spread over fewer potential buyers which simply skyrockets the
cost.

On the other hand, the easiest thing to accomplish in a Capitalist society
such as ours is something called "what the market will bear". This is a
catch-all for how much we want it. If a best seller such as the Jeep is to
Chrysler is also their greatest profitable automobile, should they lower the
price even if the demand is there or take the greater profits. This is meant
to be rhetorical as we would all agree that profit is the reason to be in
business. We can complain about high cost, but as long as there are others
willing to pay the price there is less chance than a snowball in the desert
that the price will drop. The more the people, the greater the complacency
and the more businesses will flourish. The only trick is that there has to
be a perceived value to the item or it won't sell for even the lowest price.

The fact is that while the price of technology hardware reduces, the cost of
information becomes more valuable. This is simply because there will always
be enough people who feel complacent (apathetic) enough to shell out the
bucks for overpriced information.

Regards,
Dennis