From: sharonb(--nospam--at)slarchitects.com [mailto:sharonb(--nospam--at)slarchitects.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 3:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry, equivalent solid thickness

I am looking for commentary and/or charts discussing the equivalent
solid
thickness of masonry.

Specifically for example:
In-plane 8" wall design, Calculating Vm = Cd*Amv*(f'm)1/2
For a solid grouted wall, t for calculating Amv = 7.625"
For a wall with grouted cells at 24" o.c., t = ?

By using a table for the "average weight of completed wall, and
equivalent
solid thickness"
The tabulated value for 8" solid grouted = 75psf, with t = 7.625"
The tabulated value for 8" grouted at 24" o.c. = 55psf, therefore
algebraically t = 5.592"

Comments?

Sharon Robertson Bonds, PE
Salerno/Livingston Architects