Private Responses

I appreciate the e-mails I receive privately to offer support for issues I
enjoy discussing. Even more, I appreciate the e-mail I receive to inform me
when I am wrong on my facts. I don't believe I have ever failed to admit
when I am wrong, and I have always considered it proper to publish the
appropriate correction so others are aware of my mistakes. Of course, there
are often opinions that are more subjective and I am not so easily swayed on
subjective arguments.

There is one disturbing sideline here. When I receive an e-mail from a
software developer, or an individual in the materials industry or a
representative of a professional organizations it tells me that the
Listservice discussions are monitored - others are listening to what we have
to say. Rarely, will an incorrect comment pass without someone providing me
the facts. The disturbing thing is to have it provided privately rather than
publicly on the discussion forum where it belongs.

I do understand when an individual is hesitant to become the national
spokesperson for the developer, organization or associations. However, I
believe that the members of these lists have the capacity to recognize the
strength of the source of the information. We understood that Charlie Carter
was not speaking as a representative of the AISC but as a faithful employee
of an organization he highly respects.

It's time to participate with the forums and not to embrace the anonymity
that you employees and representatives of the "industry" embrace. We can not
get to the facts unless the facts are presented to us. Why was time in
conjecture and speculation or supporting false assumptions based on misled
experience. If you have the facts, present them, discuss them and by doing
this you show the professional community you are supporting them rather than
protecting yourselves from responsibility.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net