RE: Masonry, equivalent solid thickness

Amrhein includes equivalent solid thickness in his Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook.  EST tables are also given.  Although values for 10" and 12" blocks with 1-1/4" face shells are not tabulated, just add up the solid areas in the wall (face shells, webs and grouted cells) and divide by the length of the wall and you'll be in the ballpark.  Dimensions for the different size units are given, so it's a quick calc with a spreadsheet.

Jason Emoto

>>> "Roger Davis" <rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com> 01/15/01 04:53AM >>>
Be careful in using the NCMA TEK 141 tables.  A footnote in ASTM C90 allows
1 1/4" face shells in 10" and 12" concrete block.  Almost all manufacturers
in the mid-west produce block with 1 1/4" faces.  The Executive Technical
Director of the Wisconsin Concrete Masonry Association told me that this was
the result on union agreements.  The face shell thickness used by NCMA is 1
3/8" for 10" and 1 1/2" for 12" block.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.