Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Structural Stud/Joist Designations

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Could someone set me straight on something?

I am not well-versed in steel stud terminology.

I have an architect's drawings showing the designation 362CSJ18, which I assume
is some sort of "Channel-shaped Stud-Joist" shape. Of course the architect
hasn't a clue what the designation means; he's just copying it drawings that got
it from other drawings, etc., down three or four generations. I did find one
reference to this shape, at, but
there is no information beyond the fact that it is one of many types of
"Structural" as opposed to "Drywall" framing.

I see that a relatively new organization, the Steel Stud Manufacturers
Association (SSMA; just what we need, another acronym to remember!), has now
published specification tables, which can be found in .PDF format at and in which I can find no reference to
anything like 362CSJ18. Either that designation is proprietary or the SSMA has
REVISED the "official" designations (don't you love it when they do that? Like
TS ->> HSS?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I want to be? And if this section
turns out to be not sufficient (big surprise there, where my experience with
this architect is concerned), should I use the SSMA specification?