Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Clark Steel Framing Systems produces the CSJ shape it appears you are
looking at.  The 362 stand for the overall depth (3 5/8 in this case), the
CSJ stands for the profile (in this case 1 5/8" flanges with a 1/2" return
lip) and the 18 indicates the gage of the steel.  

Properties of the section in question are:

Standard Yield Strength is 33ksi although 40 and 50ksi sections are
Gross area is 0.338,
Moment of inertia of 0.704 (0.125 weak axis), 
Section Modulus of 0.388 (0.115 weak axis)

Trying giving Clark a call to have them send you a product binder.  The most
recent number I have for Clark is (513) 539-2900.

Troy Madlem
Structural Project Engineer
Ter Horst, Lamson & Fisk, Inc.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)] 
Sent:	Tuesday, January 16, 2001 1:41 PM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at); aec-residential(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Structural Stud/Joist Designations

Could someone set me straight on something?

I am not well-versed in steel stud terminology.

I have an architect's drawings showing the designation 362CSJ18, which I
is some sort of "Channel-shaped Stud-Joist" shape. Of course the architect
hasn't a clue what the designation means; he's just copying it drawings that
it from other drawings, etc., down three or four generations. I did find one
reference to this shape, at, but
there is no information beyond the fact that it is one of many types of
"Structural" as opposed to "Drywall" framing.

I see that a relatively new organization, the Steel Stud Manufacturers
Association (SSMA; just what we need, another acronym to remember!), has now
published specification tables, which can be found in .PDF format at and in which I can find no reference
anything like 362CSJ18. Either that designation is proprietary or the SSMA
REVISED the "official" designations (don't you love it when they do that?
TS ->> HSS?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I want to be? And if this
turns out to be not sufficient (big surprise there, where my experience with
this architect is concerned), should I use the SSMA specification?