Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: RE: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

Bill --

Unimast uses this nomenclature.  The "362" is the depth (3 5/8"), "CSJ" is a standard-width joist (1 5/8" flange width), and "18" is the gauge thickness.  Thus, a 60CSJ16 would be a 6" deep, 16 gauge, standard-width joist.  There are also CSW joists with 2" flange widths and CSE joists with a width of 2 1/2"  You will see this nomenclature if you get a technical catalog from Unimast up to and including their catalog dated 4/98.  If you get their newest catalog, dated 5/00, you will see that they have adopted the SSMA standard member designations.

Hope this helps.

-- Joel

Joel Adair, EIT
Halff Associates, Inc.
E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 12:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at); aec-residential(--nospam--at)
Subject: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

Could someone set me straight on something?

I am not well-versed in steel stud terminology.

I have an architect's drawings showing the designation 362CSJ18, which I assume
is some sort of "Channel-shaped Stud-Joist" shape. Of course the architect
hasn't a clue what the designation means; he's just copying it drawings that got
it from other drawings, etc., down three or four generations. I did find one
reference to this shape, at, but
there is no information beyond the fact that it is one of many types of
"Structural" as opposed to "Drywall" framing.

I see that a relatively new organization, the Steel Stud Manufacturers
Association (SSMA; just what we need, another acronym to remember!), has now
published specification tables, which can be found in .PDF format at and in which I can find no reference to
anything like 362CSJ18. Either that designation is proprietary or the SSMA has
REVISED the "official" designations (don't you love it when they do that? Like
TS ->> HSS?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I want to be? And if this section
turns out to be not sufficient (big surprise there, where my experience with
this architect is concerned), should I use the SSMA specification?


******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
*   admin(--nospam--at) and in the body of the message type
*   "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
*   to admin(--nospam--at) and in the body of the message
*   type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For questions, send
*   email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at: ********