From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 10:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; aec-residential(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
Subject: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

Could someone set me straight on something?

I am not well-versed in steel stud terminology.

I have an architect's drawings showing the designation 362CSJ18, which I
assume
is some sort of "Channel-shaped Stud-Joist" shape. Of course the architect
hasn't a clue what the designation means; he's just copying it drawings that
got
it from other drawings, etc., down three or four generations. I did find one
reference to this shape, at http://www.edgemontdrywall.com/newsteel.htm, but
there is no information beyond the fact that it is one of many types of
"Structural" as opposed to "Drywall" framing.

I see that a relatively new organization, the Steel Stud Manufacturers
Association (SSMA; just what we need, another acronym to remember!), has now
published specification tables, which can be found in .PDF format at
http://www.ssma.com/ssmatechcatalog.pdf and in which I can find no reference
anything like 362CSJ18. Either that designation is proprietary or the SSMA
has
REVISED the "official" designations (don't you love it when they do that?
Like
TS ->> HSS?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I want to be? And if this
section
turns out to be not sufficient (big surprise there, where my experience with
this architect is concerned), should I use the SSMA specification?

Thanks.