Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Structural Stud/Joist Designations

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Unimast uses such a designation.  Their web site is

Roger C. Davis
SDS Architects, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Tuesday, January 16, 2001 12:41 PM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at); aec-residential(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Structural Stud/Joist Designations

Could someone set me straight on something?

I am not well-versed in steel stud terminology.

I have an architect's drawings showing the designation 362CSJ18, which I
is some sort of "Channel-shaped Stud-Joist" shape. Of course the architect
hasn't a clue what the designation means; he's just copying it drawings that
it from other drawings, etc., down three or four generations. I did find one
reference to this shape, at, but
there is no information beyond the fact that it is one of many types of
"Structural" as opposed to "Drywall" framing.

I see that a relatively new organization, the Steel Stud Manufacturers
Association (SSMA; just what we need, another acronym to remember!), has now
published specification tables, which can be found in .PDF format at and in which I can find no reference
anything like 362CSJ18. Either that designation is proprietary or the SSMA
REVISED the "official" designations (don't you love it when they do that?
TS ->> HSS?)

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I want to be? And if this
turns out to be not sufficient (big surprise there, where my experience with
this architect is concerned), should I use the SSMA specification?