Re: Question on wood Roof Trusses

While we are discussing roof trusses.  Can someone tell me why the truss
manufacturers use the "Primary frames and systems" Wind Pressure Coefficients (Cq
in the '97 UBC Table 16-H), instead of the "Elements and Components"
coefficients.  I don't see the justification.  For wind uplift, the difference
can be significant, especially for the typical roof truss with less than a 100 sf
tributary area.   I wouldn't design a roof rafter as a primary frame.  What's the
difference with a truss?

If you think the trusses on your project are being designed as elements and
components, you might be surprised if you check the uplift reactions, I was.

Monty Hart
Associated Design Consultants, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska