Re: Light Gage Steel Framing: The Obvious Next Question

Actually, I've already answered part of my questions, by READING what is on the
AISI website!

Turns out that LRFD has been around as far as cold-formed steel design since
1986. And my design software supports it.

This is a "good thing" because I want to be able to just use the same load
combos for structural steel as light gage.

And it looks like the latest standard is 1996, check.

I thought I'd struck gold when I noticed in my '97 UBC (the building code under
which my design falls) a section on cold-formed--then I saw that it was two
pages long and realized that FOR ONCE UBC had done what all the codes OUGHTA do,
and incorporated by reference.

Oh, and BTW, I've doing what I call a "dog house"; an ornamental
penthouse-kinda-lookin' thingy on the top of a single-story
masonry-and-steel-joist structure (a very large convenience store). The details
on the architect's structural plans, done by some other structural some time
back, are just plain WEIRD, with L 3 x 3 x 1/4 angles everywhere acting as
stringers, etc.

I think with a 110 mph design wind speed (three-second gust) that's not gonna
cut it, so I just want to do the whole thing as light gage framing.