Re: Question on wood Roof Trusses

Good guess Bill.  In fact, a number of year ago, when I confronted the chief engineer
with one of the major truss plate manufacturers as to why they did that, he said it was
to be "competitive".  No other reason was offered.

Unfortunately, correcting the error on my projects does not really address the problem,
as the manufacturers continue using the primary frames coefficient for 99.5% per cent
of their work and almost nobody (engineer or building department) ever catches it.   In
fact, the last "truss technician" that I confronted on the issue, had never designed a
truss with the higher primary frames coefficient.  I've seen this now with several
truss manufacturers, in two states, over a period of 12 years.

For the 1/2% of engineers who are knowledgeable and do choose to correct the error,
they are rewarded with less and less work, as the extra costs of building their
projects works in reverse on their competitiveness.  Not a very satisfying solution to
those of us trying to feed our families.

If the practice is wrong, it should not be used on any projects.  If it is correct, I'm
waiting to hear the justification, and competitiveness is not a justification.

Monty