Re: Strength of Non-Compact HSS

Hey, Davis, this brings up (again) a point that needs to be reiterated:

The Design Specification for HSS members is GREAT, in and of itself a good
reason to spring for the purchase of one of these manuals if you do much design
with HSS.

But it ONLY comes in the LRFD flavor, and as you point out, the methodology is
sufficiently unique to HSS that I don't believe you could "wing it" by applying
the AISC-ASD Design Specification to these members.

I haven't tried--I've only used the HSS Design Spec a few times, for column
design--but I'm sure someone could "convert" the HSS LRFD formulae to ASD, but
to me this was yet another nail in the ASD coffin. I'm surprised that no one
here has complained about this (that I can recall).