RE: EOR

Title: RE: EOR

With respect to the EOR being ultimately responsible...

As some of you may know, the North Central Texas (a.k.a., the Dallas) Chapter of the Structural Engineers Association of Texas has a monthly meeting with dinner and a speaker.  We have an unusually interesting program coming up on Tuesday, January 23, so you might want to consider attending.  We meet at the CityPlace Conference Center, 2711 North Haskell at US 75.  Cocktails (usually sponsored) are at 6:15-7:00 pm, dinner ($28 for nonmembers, but we guarantee a meal with no rubber chicken) is at 7:00-7:45 pm, and the program is at 7:45-8:45 pm.  For further information or to RSVP, please contact Steve Punch at (972)960-2070 or spunch(--nospam--at)lg.com by Noon on Friday, January 19.

Program:

"The Hyatt Regency Collapse:  It's Impact on Responsibility, Ethics & The Structural Engineering Profession"

Speaker:

Mr. Jack Gillum

On 07/17/81, the walkways of the Kansas City Hyatt collapsed, killing 114 people and injuring scores of others.  Mr. Gillum was the Structural Engineer of Record on this project, and lost his P.E. license(s) as a result of it.  Come join us, and hear his perspective after nearly twenty years.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Vice President
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Halff Associates, Inc.
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:  (214) 346-6280
Fax:  (214) 739-0095
Email:  scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the U.S., there is always one individual who is ultimately responsible
for a project.  The person who seals and signs the drawings is the EOR, or
engineer of record.  No matter how many people may have worked on or
contributed to a project within a design office, our laws are such that one
person must be solely responsible for the final product.  By signing and
sealing the drawings, the EOR indicates that they have personally supervised
and controlled the project, and that they personally take full
responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, and suitability of the
structural design and construction documents.

Paul Feather