Re: 1951 Steel Roof Trusses

Jeff,

I have part of a Bethlehem joist catalog that was passed on to me by a
colleague that gives numbers similar to what you have, but I don't know what
year it might be.  The part of the catalog that I have does have a type 248
joist, but doesn't have any of the other numbers.  I have pages 31-34, so
there is an awful lot of the catalog that I don't have.

A telephone number (10-years old) that I have is, (215) 694-5720, but verify
the area code as a lot have changed in the past 10 years.

Here is some information on the #248 joist.  If it matches, then you probably
do have a Bethlehem product; if it doesn't, well, you'll just have to keep
searching:

Depth:      24"
End panel length:    2'5-1/4"(min) to 4'0-3/4"(max)
Interior panels:     3'-3"
Top chord:           (2) L3 X 3 X 1/4
Bottom chord:        (2) L2-1/2 X 2-1/2 X 1/4
End vertical strut:  (2) L2 X 2 X 3/16    <--At 1st int. panel pt.
Int. vert. struts:   (2) L1-1/4 X 1-1/4 X 3/16
End diagonal:        (2) L2 X 2 X 1/4
1st Int. diag:       Bar 2-1/2 X 5/16
2nd Int. diag:       Bar 2-1/2 X 1/4
Remaining diags:     Bar 2 X 1/4

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff Williams wrote:

>>Hello everyone,

This may have been asked before, but I have the following dilemma.  We are
modernizing several buildings of a 1951 school in the San Francisco area
and the roof members are constructed with steel trusses.  I have contacted
several manufactures about the truss properties, but I'm have no luck.
 Therefore, if someone can direct me to a piece of literature or if someone
might have the properties associated with the followings truss
designations, it would be greatly appreciated.

The truss designations on the drawings are as follows:
#116-216
#166-219
#165-235

Jeff Williams, S.E.<<