From: Peter McCormack [mailto:PMac(--nospam--at)realloghomes.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 5:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Question on wood Roof Trusses

Sorry if this is a repeat message, but I have been very busy the
last couple of days and only gave my emails a cursive glance....to
my dismay....

Dennis...can you summarize the thread for me? Where do we
stand (the building designer) are we responsible for the bracing,
connections etc of the truss system, or is this the responsibility of
the truss designer (who I had been assuming was responsible)

The little truss diagrams I have seen specify the reactions at the
heal of the truss, the assumed loading, but little information on
laterial loading. For example, if I am responsible for the lateral
bracing, how do I effectively design a bracing system without
knowing if the "cladding and component" pressures I apply to the
webs of a gable truss is the same as the truss designer to
determine if I need to strengthen the webs with 'L' bracing or if the
vertical diagonal bracing up to the top chord of an internal truss
(and another to the bottom) will be adequate.

As for the location and connections of bracing to prevent the out of
plane buckling of the truss chords etc....do I need to analyze the
system myself? What about the load-slip parameters of the metal
plate connections?

This is scary.....