Affordable Healthcare Coverage

Last May I turned 50 and our healthcare cost for my wife and I (Blue Shield)
jumped 20%. The price rose another 20% in at the end of the year and they
announced another 20% increase by the end of February. This will almost
double our healthcare costs from about $350.00 per month to over $610.00 at
the end of February.

We have looked at a couple of other plans including Blue Cross (which has a
slightly lower cost plan), Heath Net which our pharmacist warned us against.
His father went to the emergency room with a heart attack and Healthnet
would not approve an angioplasty until 12-hours after he was admitted. His
father ended up losing over 30% of his heart because of the delays.

We got a call from an agent regarding a plan from National Association for
Self Employed which is a business plan that includes health, dental, legal
and accounting services and low cost Airborne express.

Does anyone over 50 who is not on an HMO (my wife and I have existing
conditions and will not use an HMO) have any suggestions or recommendation?
Are any of you familiar with National Association for Self Employed and
their healthcare plan?

Does SEAOC, ASCE or any of the professional associations have a decent PPO
(Preferred Physician Option) plan that I can find out about.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE