Re: 1951 Steel Roof Trusses

Jeff Williams wrote:

> Davis, the trusses are open web steel trusses/joists with double angle top
> and bottom chords.  The webs members are either angles or rods.  We were
> not able to visual see any of the trusses during our visit to the site due
> to existing "hard" ceilings.  This information was taken from the existing
> architectural and structural drawings.

On older buildings, it is imperative that you be able to see the joists that
are in place so that the manufacturer can be established. Previously I descibed
CECO joists. Armco joists had top and bottom chords that looked like a large
hat-sections, with round webs. Bethlehem joists had double-angle top and bottom
chords with round webs. Kalman (Bethlehem) joists look like expanded metal lath
on steriods.

> Any info. that you can provide would be great.
>
> What company is "CECO" ?

CECO Steel Products Corporation.  I believe they stopped manufacturing joists
in the early 70's along with Armco and Bethlehem.