Re: Affordable Healthcare Coverage

Anytime someone wants another person to pay *all* their health care expenses,
less a nominal co-pay, your premiums are going to be more than what you would
pay without coverage.  Blue Shield can justify the cost because some people
want someone else to pay all their medical costs, the salaries paid to the
executives are exorbitant, and the company has to make a profit to satisfy
the shareholders.

Get a quote for *hospitalization* and *major* medical coverage and not
coverage for everytime you go to the doctor's office and for routine tests.
Have the coverage capped at some figure, say, $30,000 or $50,000 and look for
an excess major medical coverage that has that number as a deductible.  Get
quotes from an insurance agent, not an HMO.

If your doctor's office visit cost $100 a visit, both you and your wife would
have to go to the doctor's office more than twice a week each month to come
close to the $1,000 premium.  If that is the case, then you both are probably
too sick to work, and if you can't work, you can't pay the premium and would
be covered under Medicaid.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Wish wrote:

>>My wife called the Blue Shield Agent today and was told to expect a rate
increase every six months. As I explained in my original post, our rate went
up last May as I turned 50-years old. The rate went up about 40%. In July,
there was another 20% scheduled increase, another 20% increase in December
and another expected in March. How does Blue Shield justify so many cost
increases and how are others dealing with it?

We already ruled out Health Net as an unacceptable plan from references and
are now considering having to stay with Blue Shield and try to lower our
premiums by raising our deductible. We can move to Blue-Cross since we have
had no major illness in the last five years (although we do have existing
conditions).

I would be interested in hearing from other self-employed who are over 50
and dealing with rising health coverage costs.<<