QUERY: How Would You Model This?

How do you typically model the "chord force" induced in a structural steel frame
forming part of a perimeter shear resisting system by diaphragm action, when you
are using a general-purpose analysis program?

The problem of course is that these are really INTERNAL forces and aren't
readily induced in the members by external loading methods. The particular
program I am using does not have a "prestress force" option. I was thinking I
MIGHT be able to do it with thermal differential, but I haven't thought this all
the way through. Anybody have any other ideas?