Re: 10% - 50 year motion

writes:

> In the ATC3.06 project (forerunner to the current SEAOC Blue Book and
> also the NEHRP Provisions) an attempt was made to determine the acceptable
> risk
> of failure for new building design, by comparing risks associated with other
> hazards, e.g. airplane crashes, fires, etc.

This is terrific info.  Is the historical data that shows the actuarial risks
associated with airplane crashes, fires, etc which we could lay out side by
side with earthquakes still available?  Many folks would be interested, and
it would help folks understand and assess their risks when evaluating seismic
retrofit cost paybacks and risks.  Thanks in advance.

Ron Fong<<

Remember, however, that whenever a life is lost or a person injured in an
airplane crash or in a fire, that the airline, plane manufacturer, appliance
manufacturer, etc., is accused of "knowing" that a defect exists and is
responsible for the death/injury.

Risks are frequently ignored as "it can't happen to me," until it happens.
Haven't all of us at one time or another driven our car with faulty brakes
because "they will last until I get to the shop."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona