	From: Structuralist [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net]
	Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 5:44 PM
	To: aec-residential(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc; SEAINT Listservice; se-practice
	Listservice
	Subject: Obtaining Near Source Values

	I saw this issue come up a few times and thought I would tell you
what one
	geotechnical company is doing in my area. Earth Systems is our local
	Geotechnical resources. When the 97 UBC was adopted, Earth Systems
offered a
	service where they would provide the soil type and Near Source
values for
	the property you were designing on. They charge a nominal fee of
less than
	$100.00 and include the following information specific to your
design site:

	Seismic Zone
	Seismic Zone Factor, Z
	Soil Profile Type
	Seismic Source Type
	Closest Distance to Known Seismic Source (in Km and miles)
	Near Source Factor, Na
	Near Source Factor, Nv
	Seismic Coefficient, Ca
	Seismic Coefficient, Cv

	I generally call this in and have the Geotechnical bill the owner or
client
	and include the requirement in my work agreement.

	You may wish to check with your local Geotechnical to find out if
they offer
	a similar service. These are exact values rather than relying upon
	approximations from the ICBO maps or approximate values for calling
the
	city. This geotechnical company maintains historic records which
they
	evaluate for these values.

	Regards,
	Dennis S. Wish, PE