Bearing Strength at Bolt Holes

What is a good reference for Section J3.10-Bearing strength at Bolt Holes in
LRFD Spec 12/1/93, particularly a reference that provides the origin and
derivation of the equations in this section. I looked in my 3rd edition of
Salmon and Johnson, which is tied into the 1989 LRFD Spec, but nevertheless
has a basic equation (4.6.5) upon which it would appear the LRFD equations
would come from. But I can't seem to get there from here. (Actually the Spec
equations themselves seem to be in a less than straight forward form).
Thanks.

Jim Fulton