From: Ron Hill [  <mailto:ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com> mailto:ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 1:19 PM
To: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: Bolt Tightening

I recall from AISC edition 7 that the preferred method of tightening
structural bolts for bearing connections was the turn-of-nut method.

Looking at ASD and LRFD current editions, the method for bearing connections
is called snug tight.  I prefer the turn-of-nut method and wonder if this
requirement is an undue expense for the erector.  Does anyone have a feel
for the cost difference????

Thanks

Ron Hill, P.E.
HILL Consulting Engineering