Bearing Strength at Bolt Holes

I don't know if this will answer your question directly, but it may point you
in the right direction.

Going back to *rivets*, the bearing limitation was based on the plate
deforming plastically, bunching up under the rivet head and popping it off.

Since rivets begat HSB, I would imagine that there is some correlation there.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

James F Fulton wrote:

>>What is a good reference for Section J3.10-Bearing strength at Bolt Holes
in LRFD Spec 12/1/93, particularly a reference that provides the origin and
derivation of the equations in this section. I looked in my 3rd edition of
Salmon and Johnson, which is tied into the 1989 LRFD Spec, but nevertheless
has a basic equation (4.6.5) upon which it would appear the LRFD equations
would come from. But I can't seem to get there from here. (Actually the Spec
equations themselves seem to be in a less than straight forward form).
Thanks.<<