RE: Affordable Healthcare Coverage

>From what our agent mentioned, the MSA may no longer be in affect. The agent
indicated that the MSA idea (which requires you to place money into a
savings account where it must remain AND at the same time purchase a
healthcare policy) was not very popular among those he proposed it to.
Unless there is a wide acceptance of the plan, the individual may still end
up going into heavy debt for a catastrophic ailment.
I think one of the problems with healthcare in this country is that it is
more of a business than a humanitarian ideology compared to, say, the
government supported health plans in Canada. Possibly one our Canadian peers
can address this more accurately, but a close friend of mine whose wife is
Canadian returned to Canada just so she could have her last child. She
firmly believed the quality of care was much better than in the US. Mothers
weren't kicked out of hospitals before they were ready (generally 24 hours
maximum in the US, unless it is a C-section in which case, my wife informs
me that it is up to four days).
So far, from the comments I received, the best choice is to increase the
deductible and make sure it is covered in an interest bearing account - to
keep the premium lower. Of the plans we looked at, Blue-Cross appears to be
better at this time than Blue Shield. It offers the same services for a much
lower premium and a comparatively lower deductible.

I have not heard of the Golden Rule plan? Tell me more if you can. What
about others in different regions of the country. How many of you are on
HMO's and how are they performing? Do you find that if there is an illness
or existing condition that an HMO is still delivering for you in a timely
fashion or are you willing to spend more for a private or preferred
physician plan?

Does NCSEA or ASCE have a group plan that we can take advantage of?

Dennis