Re: EOR

I want to know the practice in US, concerning supervision responsibility of the EOR.  Our city has ruled that in case of structures 4 story or higher, the signing structural engineer (and the architect) bear the full responsibility for the project.  Meaning we
must notify the city, if there are any deviations from our design.  If some part of the structure gets built without our supervision, we must immediately notify the building department and dissociate ourselves in writing.  It is allowed to send an inspecting
engineer from your office, but the ultimatele responsibility remains yours.
    How does it work in US cities? and other countries represented on the list?