Re: Strength of Non-Compact HSS

The American Petroleum Institute's API RP 2A (Working Stress Design, same as ASD,
and LRFD versions) have formulae permissible stresses / interaction formulae for
strengths for round HSS sections. These are being used by the offshore industry
around the world for over two decades. The offshore structures consist primarily of
round HSS (we call them tubular) members. It covers the reduction in strength for
high D/T ratios quite well and is an industry standard.

M. Hariharan