Re: Post Tensioned Steel Structure (1200' span)

I have tried to design and use post-tensioned steel trusses as temporary
structures for cast-in-place concrete bridges (slab over one-span
post-tensioned beams). The concept seems to be good, but I have found a
problem with the low dead load of the steel trusses; I usually need a
large dead load to counteract the effect of the cable excentricity, and
also greater steel area to support the axial load. I believe this
problem would be solved if you have shored slab construction, so then
you could apply the post-tensioning force by stages. In my case, it was
out of the question to shore, and it was unreasonable to apply the force
during the concrete pours.

Juan C. Gray