RE: EOR (Hyatt)

>I always thought it was that the load path of the hanger rods was offset
>at the channel by the fabricator to facilitate erection
My impression too, based on results of NBS testing. The lower skyway was
supported off the channels making up the upper skyway. Both should have
been supported off the rod as shown by the original design drawing. The
detail was apparently changed because no one at the site could figure out
how to fab the walkway as designed. In hindsight, it does seem like the
rods could have been threaded into sleeves welded into the deck support
channels, then the rods welded to the sleeves after the deck was in place.

Another interesting story I heard (can't remember where now.) was that
during construction, laborers complained that the walkway felt too soft
when they moved materials over the walkway. They were told to walk
someplace else if they didn't like it. I've taken that as a warning to
keep close to the people doing the work in order to keep up to speed on
the way things are going.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw