Re: REF: HEAVY MACHINERY FOUNDATION

Evan Jorgensen and Bill Polhemus,

Thanks for your comments. Since I have access to only STADDIII (company provided), I will try to use it if I can. Talking with STAADIII folks, they agreed that 99 time step pairs can be entered in the data. If you want to input more steps, you have to create a file with "unlimited" steps, and then input a "Read" statement to access the data file. Now if you input force function w/ time varying amplitude, any step size can be input. Whether it works or not, thanks for pointing out. Regarding the foundation, assuming 60' x 60' x 5' Thick, I was advised to create solid elements, say 5' x 5' x 5' (each node will have 3 degrees of freedom). Any comments.

Victor Lee

From: Evan Jorgensen <EJorgensen(--nospam--at)eqe.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: REF: HEAVY MACHINERY FOUNDATION
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:01:51 -0800

The last time I looked to STAAD-III for time-history analysis, I found that the program limits you to a maximum of 99 time steps. This may be adequate for one or two of the degrees of freedom but not for all six. When I asked REI if there was a way to use more than 99 time steps, they gave the standard REI response, "Why would you want that?" Therefore, I've never tried to use STAAD-III for such problems. If REI has increased the number of time steps, I would still be
leery, since not many people have used that portion of the program.