Re: REF: HEAVY MACHINERY FOUNDATION

Just WATCH THAT MODEL LIKE HELL!

I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I, and many others here, have had BAD
experiences with STAAD! There are many documented bugs of long standing that
have NEVER been ironed out of that program.

The "solid element" feature hasn't been in there very long. I would be VERY
CAREFUL to check the accuracy of it.

I might be tempted, for example, to run a static-load analysis on my
solid-element model, and check it with a hand-method.

Even then, however, that's not going to guarantee anything, because unless I'm
much mistaken (I'm no FEA expert and it has been a long time since I was in
school) the mass matrix formulation is independent of the stiffness matrix for a
given element. They could have the latter correct, but blow the former!

So all I can say is, once again, be VERY careful. If you can possibly gain
access to a "gold medal" program like Ansys or Nastran or GT-STRUDL, I'd
consider using that instead.

Caveat Modelor!