From: David Fisher [mailto:dfisher(--nospam--at)fplushse.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 2:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: EOR (Hyatt)

I don't think thats it....

I always thought it was that the load path of the hanger rods was offset
at the channel by the fabricator to facilitate erection...

Analogy: 	-	Five guys are hanging on a rope
		-	The bottom four each grap hold of the guy's leg
directly above
			and let go of the rope
		-	Now, the top guy has to hold up his plus four other
guy's below him
weight directly.

			Quite a difference.

As far as a reference, try "Why Buildings Fall Down" by Matthys Levy at
amazon.com

Pretty interesting reading.

Regards,

David L. Fisher, SE,PE