QUERY: What Are The Practical Benefits of Joining An "S.E.A.xx."?

I am in the process of applying for membership in the Structural Engineers
Association of Texas (SEAoT). Mr. Caldwell has STRONGLY urged me to do so, but
since he's an old fuddy-duddy, I'd like to solicit some comments and opinions
about the practical usefulness of such associations for an ASPIRING old
fuddy-duddy like me.

First, I am not one employee among many of a firm. I'm a one-man outfit, likely
to remain that way for the foreseeable future. There are lots of us here. So my
biggest concern is getting the work out, as I have no one to whom I may
delegate, nor anyone to whom I may pass the buck or point the finger.

My second biggest concern is where my next meal, er, "job" is coming from. I am
still somewhat in the marketing phase (being less than one year old and hardly
of preeminent stature so as to be engaged immediately upon name recognition). It
is more important for me to find people who want to engage me to do work for
them, than to hob-nob with others like myself, who are doing that work INSTEAD
of me.

Those two concerns comprehend both a lack of time (and a need to use what time I
have wisely, something that has been a challenge for me all my life), and a
priority of focus. In addition, I have never been much of a "joiner", so that
there is only a limited social value, in my own mind, attached to the company of
my professional peers. What time I have left, when I'm not working, in other
words, is typically spent in personal and family pursuits.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me to see compelling reasons why
joining an "S.E.A." is a "good thing", uniformly, even for iconoclasts like me.
I would note that Dennis Wish is pretty close to the person "most like me" that
I know of in this particular gathering of minds, and HE has been active in
SEAInt for a number of years. That, and Stan Caldwell's continued urging, as I
am inclined to consider anything that he would suggest, are the only reasons
I've even bothered to download the application.

Looking forward to sparking some discussion.