QUERY: What Are The Practical Benefits o

Bill,

Since your main interest lies in getting work/getting work out, I would say
that is probably your best reason for joining SEAoT.  Your colleagues get to
know you, your ethics, philosophies, capabilities, etc., (unless, for some
reason you don't want them known), and refer work to you when they can't
accept it or it is out of their field.  Of course, you would have to be
active in attending SEAoT meetings.

You also participate in active dialogue with your colleagues and exchange
information on handling local problems, clients from hell, etc.

It seems that the same reasons that you joined the SEAINT listservice would
be the same reasons for you to be active in SEAoT.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Polhemus wrote:

>>I am in the process of applying for membership in the Structural Engineers
Association of Texas (SEAoT). Mr. Caldwell has STRONGLY urged me to do so, but
since he's an old fuddy-duddy, I'd like to solicit some comments and opinions
about the practical usefulness of such associations for an ASPIRING old
fuddy-duddy like me.

First, I am not one employee among many of a firm. I'm a one-man outfit,
likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. There are lots of us
here. So my biggest concern is getting the work out, as I have no one to whom
I may delegate, nor anyone to whom I may pass the buck or point the finger.

My second biggest concern is where my next meal, er, "job" is coming from. I
am still somewhat in the marketing phase (being less than one year old and
hardly of preeminent stature so as to be engaged immediately upon name
recognition). It is more important for me to find people who want to engage me
to do work for them, than to hob-nob with others like myself, who are doing
that work INSTEAD of me.

Those two concerns comprehend both a lack of time (and a need to use what time
I have wisely, something that has been a challenge for me all my life), and a
priority of focus. In addition, I have never been much of a "joiner", so that
there is only a limited social value, in my own mind, attached to the company
of my professional peers. What time I have left, when I'm not working, in
other words, is typically spent in personal and family pursuits.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me to see compelling reasons
why joining an "S.E.A." is a "good thing", uniformly, even for iconoclasts
like me. I would note that Dennis Wish is pretty close to the person "most
like me" that I know of in this particular gathering of minds, and HE has
been active in SEAInt for a number of years. That, and Stan Caldwell's
continued urging, as I am inclined to consider anything that he would suggest,
are the only reasons I've even bothered to download the application.

Looking forward to sparking some discussion.<<