From: David Merrick [mailto:merrickgroup(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 8:53 AM
To: seaoc iweb posting
Subject: flex. diaph shear distrib. excel spread sht. formulas

I have attempted to post an example excel spreadsheet to distribute shear
forces with a flexible diaphragm. The equations are modular and can be
duplicated to any number of reference lines. The reference lines can be
located at shear walls and elsewhere. It also handles cantilevers. I am
proposing further work that handles two-dimensional layout of modules to
represent rigid diaphragms.

Calculations on Drawing Sheets
What are the pros and cons of listing a large calculation matrix on a
drawing sheet for permit submittal? This would allow rectangular elements
of a floor to have all definitions at one reference.

I have also posted it at www.structuralist.net Thank you Dennis Wish for
the alternate web-site.

David Merrick, SE
MERRICKGROUP(--nospam--at)compuserve.com

*********SEAINT
Anyone wishing to submit software must obey the following rules, WITHOUT
EXCEPTION:

1 - It must be self-contained software (EXE file) or an Excel spreadsheet
or
a Mathcad document.

2 - It must not be crippled in any way or contain advertising for upgrades
or other products.

3 - It must be freeware, not shareware or other commercial product.

4 - It must be submitted as an executable ZIP file prepared with Winzip
Self
Extractor. www.winzip.com Regular executables, XLS files or MCD files will
simply be deleted! I do not have time to prepare files for posting.

5 - I will not respond to e-mails asking questions about how to do this. If
you are smart enough to write software, you should be able to figure all
this out by yourself.

6 - Send your submittal with a 60 word or less description. It will be
posted without editing so if you don't want to appear illiterate, check
your
grammar and spelling!

7 - Send the e-mail to MarkD(--nospam--at)DandDEng.com. The SUBJECT line MUST begin with
the words SEAOC POSTING. If not, the e-mail will be deleted and you will
not
be notified.

8 - Include an e-mail address. You must be willing to answer questions
about
your product so I suggest that you include enough information to explain
the
variables and an example problem.