Re: QUERY: What Are The Practical Benefits of Joining An "S.E.A.xx."?

Scott Maxwell wrote:
> Certainly, one of the reasons most people think of is the "social benefit"
> (what you affectionately referred to as "hob-nob"ing).  You seem to attach
> a "negative" (that is too strong of a phrase but it is the best that I can
> come up with at the moment) connotation to that idea.  You seem to look at
> it a purely socializing just for socializing which then takes time away
> from thing that you consider more important.

No, no, not at all. That is NOT what I meant to convey. As I said, I've NEVER
been much of a "joiner". It isn't that I think "hob-nobbing" is a "bad thing" or
a "waste of time", but simply that I don't DO it very well!

I have always been a person whose more comfortable by myself, or with small
groups of trusted friends, than in a group setting, no matter what the function.
It's just my nature.

Believe me, my life would be MUCH easier if it were otherwise. It is the
"hob-nobbers" of the world who have the most opportunities, who can make their
mark on their world. The "loners", contrary to the fictional stereotype,
typically doesn't go as far.

So when I said "hob-nobbing", I simply meant "mixing and mingling with others",
even if we have things in common such as a profession.

And I find your mention of the "networking" aspects to be compelling. Believe
me, I think this is a VERY useful "pep talk". I just want to make sure that
others feel, as Stan does, that there are concrete benefits simply because my
time is so precious.